West Norfolk Music Centre is seeking to appoint conductors, with experience in music education, for our community orchestra and beginner band.
We operate a Saturday music centre during school term, and our ensembles include a community orchestra and community concert band, with both groups attracting players of all ages (children and adults) at a playing level around grade 4 upwards. We also run a beginner wind band for players around grade 1-3 level. The groups perform at our own concert at the end of each term, and occasionally elsewhere.
The successful candidate will:
- Be an accomplished musician with a broad range of musical knowledge and skills.
- Be a confident and engaging conductor.
- Be able to commit to regular attendance 30 Saturday mornings a year, and at our concerts on the last Saturday afternoon of term.
The role will involve:
- Choosing suitable repertoire for the orchestra, including from our own library
- Preparing the orchestra through rehearsals for performances of a high standard
- Developing members’ orchestral playing skills and maintaining high standards in all aspects of orchestral participation
We may also offer the successful candidate the opportunity to offer individual instrumental lessons to members, to lead other Music Centre ensembles to cover short-term absence, and to develop other educational activities.
We will require a satisfactory DBS check, and we will also require you to register with the DBS update service (for which we will cover the fee if you are not already registered).
This role is self-employed and will be paid at an hourly rate dependent on qualifications/experience (£25 with a degree-level qualification in music and/or as a qualified teacher).
For more information or an informal discussion, please contact our chair Derek Stringer at email@example.com or on 07752 181 781.
To apply, please send your CV, along with an email telling us what you would bring to this role, to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 15 August. Our first rehearsal after the summer break will be on Saturday 17 September and we are planning to run an open day on 29 October in addition to our usual term dates.